Copyright (c) 2017, E. Thone Hall
“Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.”
1 Peter 1:18-21 KJV
Why is the redemption of Jesus so much better than any other redemption? We have understanding of worldly redemption:
1. We used to save Top Value Stamps or S&H Green Stamps (and lots of others) stick them in a book, and “redeem” them for a bathroom scale, an iron, or a toaster.
2. Perhaps we go to a pawn shop and give them money to redeem a guitar or a laptop that they accepted as collateral against a loan they gave us.
3. Historically, some people redeemed slaves (bought their freedom).
4. In the time “under the law” there were rules about redeeming the land (both after 7 years and especially in the year of Jubilee).
5. The law of the kinsman redeemer was all about God’s desire for redemption.
In the case of our redemption through the blood of Jesus, the hope of redemption is perfect and eternal. Jesus redeemed us by paying for our sins on the cross. The ultimate redemption!